Mud Season Must Haves
For those of you who may be unfamiliar with the New England area, Vermont has a fifth season: mud season.
Mud season sneaks in before winter has gone and before spring has sprung. Some love it, some hate it. Regardless, it returns year after year to make life that much more “Vermont.”
Since we’re mud pros, we’ve made a list of everything you must have to authentically enjoy (and survive) mud season.
1. Wellies (aka rain boots aka muck boots) will be your best friend to keep your feet and lower leg clean and dry.
2. Build or buy a boot tray or rack to store or hang up your muddied wellies to dry and keep the mud out of the house - preferably one that is either outside or in the garage.
3. If you do decide to fully embrace mud season for what it is and go muddin’ in your truck or four-wheeler, be prepared to get stuck. Bring an orange flag with you to tie on your vehicle’s antenna to help others find you in the woods.
4. It is possible to love the mud, but hate the mess. Celebrate the season in a sweet way: gather the kiddos around in the kitchen and make dirt pudding cups to share.
5. Last, but certainly not least, have a sense of fun, a sense of adventure and knack for getting a little dirty. It’s surely the only way you’ll enjoy mud season.